Monday 13 May 2013

Why the Ironman will help me to become a Neurosurgeon!

I started medical school 4 years ago, and I only have one more to go now. There was a time when I thought becoming a Doctor was impossible. How would I go from being a college student, to being a medical student, and navigating my way through to the other side? Well I have nearly done it. It has been hard, but it has been fun, and I have learnt a lot about myself and what type of person I want to be. I also knew quite quickly that I wanted to be a neurosurgeon eventually. This again seemed like an impossible task upon first considering it. However, what I have learnt is that if you want something, you have to learn how to make it happen, not just wish for it to happen. So how does this relate to the Ironman?

When I decided to enter my first triathlon last spring, I obviously spent time navigating the internet for information about races. I entered an Olympic distance race set to be held at Dorney Lake in September. Although I was excited about training for and competing in this race, I couldn't help but be captivated by the Ironman videos I had seen online.

I deliberated for a few weeks, researched the races, but eventually couldn't resist! I wanted to take on this challenge. Test myself to the limits. Hear the words "You are an Ironman" as you cross the finish line. So I signed up!

For me personally, my reasons for wanting to complete the Ironman were uniquely diverse. I wanted the health benefits that would come with being in the physical condition that would be required to complete the race. I wanted to experience the atmosphere captured in the videos and stories about Ironman races. But most importantly, I wanted to test myself mentally. I wanted to experience commitment to something difficult, out of my comfort zone, requiring new skills and unfamiliar territory. The prospect of finishing an Ironman race has certainly ensured this.

When people ask what type of doctor I want to be, and I say "A neurosurgeon", I get the same response as when I tell people I am doing an Ironman, "Wow, I couldn't do that". Why, because things seem impossible if we don't have a plan for how we wish to achieve them. Neurosurgery requires dedication and commitment,  meticulous planning and execution, a drive to do things perfectly, and a desire to produce a result that is not down to chance. For me, preparing for the Ironman encompasses all of this, and success will give me the confidence to pursue my academic dream.


To my knowledge, there is only one neurosurgeon who competes in Ironman Triathlons and his name is Dr Joseph Maroon. He still operates 3 days a week, and has completed over 70 triathlons, of which 7 were Ironman races, and guess what, he is 70 years young. He has even written a book entitled "The longevity factor: How Resveratrol and red wine activate genes for a longer and healthier life". Well I can't get better than that for inspiration! At least there is someone else in the world as crazy as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment